Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Here we go . . .

So it is official! As of Thursday at noon, we are officially going to Washington University in St. Louis for pediatrics, which means we'll be there for a full five years with my neuro years included.

And for the first time it feels real. Like, really real. I am going to be a doctor in 2 months. And the terrifying thing is I won't know anything more than I know in this very moment.

There is an old saying among interns: Don't get sick in July. This is because July is the month all the new interns start working . . . and making mistakes . . . and breaking down in the corridor because they realize they have no idea how to treat that kid in room 3 with a tracheostomy who keeps vomiting blood-tinged sputum.

*sigh*

That said, we are starting to look for housing, and the choices are overwhelming. Do we buy, rent, lease, find a condo, duplex, apartment, house. And how close can we afford to live. And which school districts are good? And which one's are not accredited? How much can we afford? And what are the hidden costs?

That's the strange things about having a real job. You suddenly have to be . . . responsible.

That said, it's been fun looking for housing. I love this small brick cottage:


But also find something charming about this small fixer-upper (about 30,000 less):



5 comments:

Heather Jewell said...

Finally! I have been waiting and checking your blog to see where you guys were going. I am so happy for you being able to spend the next 5 years in one place. So exciting!

The Hedges said...

That's great Heather! My cousin went there for her medical schooling and loved it. Don't be nervous, you've got the brains of Einstein and the bed-side manner of a loving mama, everyone you see will be glad to have you as their doctor.

WendyJ said...

Congratulations! I was born and raised in Missouri. It's a great place to raise a family. I don't know if you know the White's but they live there now, (they used to live in WP) and I can give you their info. if you like.

hez said...

Wendy-I don't think I recall the Whites, but would love their contact information, if it wouldn't be so much trouble. Thanks!

Anna said...

How was the trip? I like the fixer-upper.