Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Confessions of a sick mommy

When I was about 6 years old, my aunt made this beautiful orange gingham quilt for my parents' bed . . . which I quickly stole and adopted as my special blanket. Maybe it was my consolation for the fact that I didn't have a bed for about 6 years (don't feel too bad, another aunt bought me a comfy futon to sleep on). Regardless, this blanket has remained one of my prized possessions.

That is until (dun, dun, dun) . . .

Ashton discovered it in my closet.

War has now begun.

At first, you see, I thought it was sweet that he wanted to sleep with my special blanket. It was like lending him part of my childhood. But now things are different. I am sick . . . and throwing up . . . and as pathetic as it is, I WANT MY WOOBY BACK!

Last night while I was puking in the toilet, I spotted Ashton dragging the prized quilt to his room. Mid-vomit, I snapped to attention. "Ashton, what are you doing?"

"I need this blanket to sleep with."

"But Ashton, that's MY blanket."

"But, I need it to sleep with, and you don't need it until it's REALLY night time."

He had a point. So exhausted, I conceded. And once he was blissfully asleep, I snatched it right off of him, put a newer and cleaner blanket over him and curled up in my bed to sleep with my old friend.

Pregnancy sure brings out the best in us.

3 comments:

Cami said...

I love it! I can totally relate - except my "items" are certain foods. . . you see. . . when I find something that actually sounds good AND tastes good - it's "MOMMY'S FOOD". I get pretty possessive about who can eat my yogurt/bagels/poptarts/ or whatever that week brings me. It sure is a fun time of life!

Holly said...

I totally still have my pink wooby too (albeit thread-bare, burned, and falling to pieces) and I've had the exact same problems with kiddos trying to steal it.

Julie must have put something magical in those blankies!

Ya-ping, David, and Preston said...

Ya-ping pointed out that since her favorite blanket is huge, it's too big for the boys to steal, or she'd be in big trouble.