Saturday, June 28, 2008

A random thought.

Ashton's language skills have been exploding this past month. He is starting to put several words together, sing songs and use "catch phrases," often incorrectly. These past few days he has chosen the phrase "Mommy! Where are you?" (asked in a somewhat desperate tone) to say "I want you to focus on me." While I don't assume that he understands the connotation of that usage, it seemed terribly appropriate and has caused me to reflect. I tend to microfocus. My husband teases me, rightfully so, that when I get focused on some project it is as if he isn't even in the room. With boards coming up, most of my time has been spent trying to multitask studying and family in a way that is not always successful. Ashton's sweet pleas have acted as a reminder to me that being present and being physically near are not necessarily synonymous.

My dear friend Melissa talks about the French's commitment to the present. Experience has showed her that, when with others, they are not rushed to get to their next appointment or distracted by their prior engagement; they are entirely focused on what is happening in that moment. Of course, it probably doesn't hurt that she is an attractive young woman well versed in their language and culture. Yet it is a reminder that it is only in the here and now that true friendship can flourish; that we would all do better if we took a moment's breath to return to the place that CS Lewis called closest to eternity, the present, and by doing so ensure that we are truly present for our loved ones.

1 comment:

Amberly said...

SO well put. I have to remind myself of that all the time.