Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fun in the rain.

This has been the wettest summer of my life. There have been only rare days where we haven't gotten at least some rain here in Rochester. By some rain, I mean sudden-onset thunder with a blanket of water. It is exhilarating.

Round 1: Today, after spending 1/2 an hour changing out of my work clothes, getting the kids to put on their shoes, coaxing them out of the sandbox, away from the swings, across the road and out of a puddle, I finally made it to the vegetable garden . . . just as the first drops of rain began to fall. Ashton climbed into my arms and tucked his face into my shirt saying "It's getting on me."
In defiance I retorted, "It's getting better, see it's going to go away." just as the rain drops grew to the size of pistachio nuts. Fine. "Isaac, take your brother over to the playground and hang out under the bridge." I began weeding around our sorry, yellow tomato plants until I realized that with all the water spilling over my back I might as well be weeding in a swimming pool. I picked a few woody turnips and conceded this round to the rain.

Round 2: I ran to the playground, only to find that the kids had NOT decided to take shelter under the bridge and now looked like happy drowned rats. I hesitated, set down the turnips, and climbed up the slide with them, plummeting down into a fat, juicy mud puddle. Isaac and Ashton got some serious air, landing full-body into the sloppy mess. After the kids' faces were caked with mud and I had no clean area of clothing left to wipe their eyes, we finally came home. Luckily, the rain washed most of the mud off before Aukai laughed at us.
I win round 2.

Final score: Rain 1, Heather 1. There will be a tie-breaker later this weekend.

3 comments:

The Hedges said...

I love this picture. Your smile hasn't changed a bit since our good old days in the Colony.
(And with 2 cute boys like that, there's lots to smile about!)

Rosemary said...

What a darling picture! I wish we were there to give all three of you hugs, mud and all!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

i totally miss the rain!!! you're so lucky to have water and a garden. i miss it so much. and i miss you guys too. what a great muddy picture. love it!