Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Ucky Mucky's

So, just as the beautiful weather hits Rochester, Aukai and I got hit with a case of what I affectionately call the "ucky muckys," AKA, the flu. When I say the flu, I am not talking about the "flu" your neighbor gets every year around January. No, I am talking full blown, strapped in bed 2 days and in and out 8+ more influenza. After skipping 3 days of school to take care of Aukai and the kids, I caught the bug on Saturday, and the rest is history, or at least, history in the making.
The important thing here, of course, is whose fault it is. Aukai is convinced it must be my fault, having brought home the ucky muckys on my white coat. I, however, know better. Based on the bug's incubation period, it CLEARLY could not possibly be my fault. Aukai, on the other hand, CHOSE not to get a flu shot this year.
Now you may say, 'but the flu shot didn't work this year.' That is just the problem. While the rest of us were resistant (but not immune), Aukai's refusal to get vaccinated left him vulnerable, allowing him to become truly ill and infect the rest of us with his high viral load. When will husbands learn? Women are always right!
That said, all this illness has had a silver lining. During those three days where Aukai was semi-comatose, I was able to spend some wonderful, guilt-free time with the kids. Making peanut butter sandwiches, cleaning, going to the park and flying kites . . . I honestly felt like I was playing house, and it was wonderful. In addition, it gave me an opportunity to feel like I was really doing something for Aukai. He does so much for me, and it is rare for me to feel that I have something significant to give back. So when all is said and done, maybe the ucky muckys aren't so ucky mucky after all.

2 comments:

Holly said...

How cute, not that you are sick but that you got to spend some time with the kids. But I am afraid I will always be on Aukai's side here. The last time I got a really nasty flu was about six years ago, and it came three weeks after getting my first, and last flu shot! No more shots, and thus far no more flu!

Rosemary said...

Poor Aukai! Poor Heathie! Poor Isaac and Ashton! I'm sorry you've all been ill, but very happy to hear that you've had time to be with your wonderful family. That is a true gold lining!