Friday, June 19, 2009

Isaac figures out just how smart I am . . .

I just finished a research elective. This means that after 5 weeks of surgery and several weeks of medicine my kids are finally starting to believe that I really do live here and remember that they once knew me as their mother. It has been a great opportunity for me to get to know them again as well.

For example, left with only his father to fend for him, Ashton is now able to prepare his own breakfast in the morning, including climbing 6 feet to the top shelf of our cupboard to pick out his favorite cereal. Isaac, on the other hand, has turned to song writing. His latest debut, "Pick the Wild Morning Glory" (the volume of which is about to crack my computer screen) will soon be released for purchase.

One of Isaac's favorite puzzles is a puzzle of the 50 states. I walked in on him starting the puzzle this morning and, looking right at me, he yelled out, "Dad, can you please help me." I smiled and kindly offered to help him. He gave me a look, shrugged his shoulders and said, "OK, but it might be pretty hard for you."

As we put the pieces in, I began reading off the name of each of the states. When we got to RI, Vermont and Conneticut, he looked at me in amazement. "Wow, Mom . . . you're smarter than I thought you were!"

Needless to say, I am relieved to find my cognitive abilities have the approval of a 4-year-old.

5 comments:

Charity said...

That cracks me up- I glad you have puzzel skills! Isaac is too funny.

Auntie Ann said...

I am so glad that after all your schooling you have learned something. I'm looking forward to seeing you and the boys. I'll still get to be with Ashton in the nursery.

Holly said...

What a silly and cute nephew I have! I can't wait to see him soon!

Traci M said...

haha! That's hilarious!

The Hedges said...

Heather! This is the previous Kim Dunn - Valerie gave me a link to your blog when I mentioned that I wanted to catch up with you. I can't believe that your boys are so grown up. I did get the card you sent me on my mission, but since it said that you were moving and didn't have a forwarding address I never wrote back.

I see from this post that you're still as brilliant and good natured as I remember.