Saturday, December 8, 2007

Being a big boy.

Isaac is still working hard at being a "big boy." This is of course an important thing in his big three-year-old world, and he quickly corrects anyone who slips and accidently calls him little. (Obviously morons.) As part of his big boy training, we borrowed the Rigby's Elmo potty-training video, complete with song and dance on how everyone has accidents, and that accidents are an OK part of learning how to go potty. This has been very helpful because now we know the instant that Isaac has an accident. He runs to us and says matter-of-factly, "It's OK to have accidents Mommy." I, of course, feel very reassured as I clean the urine off the floor, send him upstairs to put his soggy clothes in the bathtub and look desperately for the last pair of clean underwear.
One of my favorite things to watch is how Isaac and Ashton interact. They really are good friends. Ashton looks up to Isaac so much and Isaac looks after his little brother. A couple months ago I refused to reach back in the car to give Ashton back his toy for the 131st time. After Ashton had cried for a minute, Isaac looked at me, shocked that I would be so abusive, and exclaimed "You stupid old meanie head!" (Really, I can handle the stupid and the mean, but did he have to call me old?) He had a very sweet apology afterwards, and it was a good opportunity to talk about friendship, family and forgiveness. In the meantime, despite being the object of criticism, I couldn't help being proud of him for sticking up for his brother.

4 comments:

Nadia and Jeremy said...

What exactly is Aukai teaching your kids during the day if Isaac is calling you old? I think I'd have it out with Aukai, if I were you.

Heather Jewell said...

So cute, Isaac cracks me up!

Nadia and Jeremy said...

By the way, Beckham finally decided that he wanted use the bathroom, and he does it all on his own. It's so nice to just have one diaper to change! I think three years and 11 months is enough of changing diapers on one kid, don't you agree?

hez said...

:) I have to agree there Nadia. Congrats on your rite of passage, and just think of it . . . and just think about all the light sabers you can buy with the money you'll save.